U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 49-year-old female asked:

I have hypothyroidism been on meds many years i feel like all my sympthoms have come back plus weight gain troble swallowing i constantly get stuff caught in my throught have even choked a few times what should i do when the doctors are not listening?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Martin Hopp
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 45 years experience
Thyroid blood test: First ask that your thyroid blood levels be checked. If normal, have your throat looked at by an e.N.T. Doctor, or ask your doctor to have a video barium swallow done for you--, thisis a test to evaluate the swallowing mechanism and understand why you choke on foods. If thee are normal, ask to seen an endocrinologist . Some patients are hypothyroid even when their blood levels are normal.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Boris Kerzner
Internal Medicine 52 years experience
Change doctors: You need to have your thyroid ffunction tests rechecked and you need to see an ENT specialist to check your throat.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Scott Mitchell
Bariatrics 24 years experience
I agree that you should 1st seek a 2nd and even possibly a 3rd opinion. You need a TSH and an extended thyroid panel, a thyroid ultrasound and evaluation of your swallowing by either ENT and gastroenterology. Depending on what they find you will still most likely benefit from seeing a compassionate and caring endocrinologist. Ask around (both other patients and doctors) until you find one that us recommended not only for his or her knowledge but also for his or her bedside manner. Good Luck!
Oct 17, 2012
Last updated Jun 10, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.