how long do i have to wait to eat after a getting tooth filling?

Dr. Debi Williams
Dentistry 26 years experience
Varies: Depends upon the duration of the anesthesia and the type of filling. Most dentists will allow you to eat soft foods right away if you eat on the opposite side of your mouth. Generally you will be able to eat anything within 2-4 hours.
Dr. Harvey Shiffman
Cosmetic Dentistry 37 years experience
Depends: Amalgam filling need time to harden, several hours. Composite (white) fillings are hardened with a light and you can eat as soon as the anesthetic wears off. In or office we use lasers for fillings so the patients don't need shots and they can eat right away.
Dr. Scott Greenhalgh
Dentistry 33 years experience
Filling type?: Don't chew as long as you are numb. White fillings are set right away, so there is no need to wait. Less commonly used any mire are silver fillings. If so, avoid chewing pressure until the next day.
Dr. Alex Shvartsman
Cosmetic Dentistry 25 years experience
No numbness: Wait until all the anesthesia has won off and do not eat hard foods o the tooth for 24 hrs.
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 54 years experience
Generally..: As far as the filling itself goes, you can eat right away with tooth colored composite fillings, but should wait at least one hour with amalgam (silver) fillings. It's always best you ask your own dentist as this can vary somewhat based upon the size and location of the filling. If you had local anesthesia, you should wait until all the numbness is gone.
Dr. Alex Shvartsman
Cosmetic Dentistry 25 years experience
Bond strength takes 24 hrs to fully mature eating right away on bonded fillings is no a good idea.
Mar 30, 2013
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 54 years experience
Provided original answer
Factors that affect polymerization of resin-based composite restorations include light intensity, exposure time, and wavelength as related to the type of photoinitiator incorporated in the resin-based composite material. The bottom line is that it takes about 17 J/cm2 to 20 J/cm2, which equates to 20 seconds with a 1,000-mW/cm2 light energy to obtain the optimum degree of polymerization of a composite. I have been practicing dentistry for over 40 years and in placing bonded composites in all those years, while fillings can chip or break (just as natural teeth) if forces on them are great enough, I can’t remember a single case of a composite de-bonding, and most of my fillings last 10-15 years. My patients are instructed that they can eat right after they leave my office, and have no problems. Perhaps one should follow Dr. Shvartsman’s advice and therefore wait 24 hours before eating.
Mar 30, 2013
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 54 years experience
Provided original answer
I am always willing to learn from others, never want to give misinformation, and willing to admit my mistakes. I decided to call the manufacturer of the bonding agent and composite that I have been using. They are the source for the most accurate information of their own products. According to the manufacture: "After 10-20 seconds of curing, a patient can eat right away. While it is true that up to 1% of the monomers may take up to 24 hours to fully polymerize, it is clinically insignificant and has no relationship on the strength of the composite nor its ability to withstand biting pressures. The 99% that is polymerized immediately after the cure is all that is necessary for maximum strength and therefore dentists can tell their patients to eat right away. This is also true with all comparable bonding agents and composites."
Apr 1, 2013
Dr. John Thaler
Prosthodontics 41 years experience
Depends: Two things to consider: 1. Are you still numb from the anesthesia ?, 2. Is it a tooth colored filling or an amalgam (silver colored) filling. Obviously, you want the numbness to be gone before eating, so you don't chew yourself instead of / in addition to your food. If the filling is amalgam. You should wait at least a few hours, and no hard chewing for 24 hours. If unsure, ask your dentist.