I recently had epidural steroid injection and i have a burning pain in groin. is this normal?

5 doctors weighed in across 4 answers
Dr. Ron Jones answered

Specializes in Family Medicine

Yes: Within reason. The injection itself may initially irritate the tissues around the nerve and the nerve itself. Especially if you had what is called a transforaminal injection. It sounds as if your injection was given around the 3rd lumbar nerve, right ?

Answered 10/25/2016

6.3k views

Dr. James Henning answered

Specializes in Anesthesiology

Typically unlikely: Assuming you received the injection in your lower back for back pain control (or for labor & delivery), this side effect is highly unusual. Laboring patients, however, because of traction on the nerves in their lower backs due to compression by the baby during labor and delivery and with legs "up in stirrups, " do experience transient symptoms like these. They almost always go away over time.

Answered 10/25/2012

5.5k views

Dr. Ron Jones answered

Specializes in Family Medicine

Depends: The doctor who answered your question is correct w/ exception. If the injection were what is called "transforaminal" and was at the level of the 3rd spinal nerve on that side and no "caine" was used in the epidural space, these symptoms could occor and would not be unexpected.

Answered 12/28/2017

5.5k views

Dr. David Simons answered

Specializes in Anesthesiology

No: Epidural steroid injections may cause nerve root irritation which is temporary however i doubt that your recent epidural has caused your groin pain. I would advise that you follow up with your doc and be re evaluated.

Answered 9/28/2016

5.4k views