I have blood in mucus that i hack up, i had a severe head injury not to long ago and they put me on meds 4 occipital nerve damage. wat does this mean?

Dr. Edward Smith
Neurosurgery 54 years experience
Maybe nothing: Severe head injury is defined by loss of function. Occipital nerve damage can & usually does occur without severe injury. Coughing up blood in mucus is common, usually unrelated to injury. What medicine are you taking? You are confused--is it a result of your injury? If so, you need to be re-evaluated by a neurologist--not because you cough or the back of your head hurts.
Dr. Joseph Sucher
Trauma Surgery 26 years experience
Needs attention: Blood in mucus is not normal and you should see you doctor for a full examination and possible tests. Without knowi the exact medications you are taking, there is no way to know if they are related to you cough. However, it seems unlikely for the two to be related. See your doc asap.

Last updated Dec 6, 2015