what is the difference between hypertrophic cardiomypathy and athlete's heart?

Dr. Amir Khan
Sports Medicine 27 years experience
Athletes heart: Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (hcm) is an abnormally enlarged heart and an “athletes heart” is an normal enlargement. Sometimes in athletes, it is difficult to determine whether the enlargement is an expression of a physiologic and benign adaptation to training or rather a pathologic process with risk for sudden death, such as hcm. Tests and consulting a cardiologist can help solve this dilemma.
Dr. Naresh Rao
Sports Medicine 24 years experience
Disease vs normal: Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is a genetic disorder that is the main cause of cardiac death in people younger than 35. The heart is enlarged in a certain part that can cause sudden death. Athlete's heart is a normal physiologic response to endurance training and includes have an enlarged heart but is not life threatening.
Dr. Volkan Tuzcu
Pediatric Cardiology 31 years experience
Hypertrophy: one is congenital disease, other is development of thickening of heart muscle due to exercise. If you stop exercise it regresses usually within 3-6 months.