is it painful to have lasik eye surgery?

Dr. Jay Pepose
Ophthalmology 39 years experience
No: Lasik is performed after administrating numbing drops. Patients feel some pressure during the creation of the flap. It is possible to have a scratchy, foreign body sensation for a couple of hours after surgery, which can be relieved with tylenol (acetaminophen). Most patients say it was so easy to go through that had they know that they would have had it sooner.
Dr. Theodore Wu
Dr. Theodore Wu commented
Ophthalmology 22 years experience
LASIK is a very comfortable procedure for most patients.
Oct 12, 2011
Dr. Andrew Shatz
Ophthalmology 26 years experience
There should be no discomfort during LASIK at all. Recovery is fast and there is little downtime.
Oct 19, 2011
Dr. Mark Golden
Ophthalmology 41 years experience
No pain with LASIK: Before the lasik procedure, numbing drops are used so that there is no pain during surgery. My lasik patients receive a sedative and then go to sleep during their healing period postoperatively. By the time that they wake up from their nap 3-4 hours later, enough healing has happened that there is no discomfort. There can be a foreign body sensation if you do not sleep for a few hours.
Dr. John Jarstad
Ophthalmology 37 years experience
Not like the past: Twenty years ago when i had my eyes treated it was about 11/10 for pain. Today by pretreating with non steroidal anti inflammatory drops ( like Motrin or Ibuprofen for the eye) along with other analgesics and (narcotics in rare cases) the pain is typically rated as no worse than 3/10 for the average patient. Your eyemd can provide soothing eyedrops for the first night or two also.
Dr. Mark Golden
Ophthalmology 41 years experience
LASIK does not hurt: The lasik process in of itself is not painful and most patients have no complaint of pain at any time. Some who do not fall asleep in the first few hours after their procedure do have some discomfort for a few hours, but it is mild and short-term.
Dr. Jay Bradley
LASIK Surgery 18 years experience
No: No. There is no pain before, during, or after lasik surgery. Sone irritation or scratchiness may be experienced for the fist 1-2 days postop.