even though you keep yourself really clean, can you still catch infection in eye from contacts?

Dr. Robert Chang
Specializes in Ophthalmology
Yes: Yes it's possible, but the risk is minimized. Clean hands hygiene when handling the lenses. Proper wear and replacement schedule -- no overusage. No sleeping in the lenses. Avoid hot tubs with contacts on. Take out contacts when putting in eyedrops.
Dr. Harvey Fishman
Ophthalmology 21 years experience
Yes!: Contact lenses can deprive the cornea of oxygen causing the epithelium to breakdown thus exposing it to bacterial colonization . No matter how clean you are bacteria always exist on the cornea and can cause an eye infection. Some really nasty bacteria can even penetrate healthy cornea.