I have high cholestrol (ldl). i m 45. how to reduce?

6 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. Mark Rasak answered

Specializes in Cardiology

Depends: Need more info. How high, what other risk factotrs, usually the most effectve way to lower LDL cholesterol is statin therapy.

Answered 4/25/2013

5.6k views

Dr. William Cromwell answered

Specializes in Clinical Lipidology

Find and Fix Causes: The first step is to determine if the LDL is elevated due to an acquired medical condition. If treatable conditions are identified i would manage those and start diet, exercise and lifestyle modifications. Soluble fiber and plant stanols can be used to lower ldl. If medications are needed options include statins, agents to decrease gut cholesterol absorption (ezetimibe, colesevelam) and niacin.

Answered 12/9/2013

5.3k views

Follow the following: Exercise most days of the week (aerobic work), eat fruits and vegetables liberally, limit saturated fats, increase fish and fish oil intake, have fiber with each meal, keep your weight in check, don't smoke at all or drink excessively (one or two drinks weekly). The lower the better on LDL and the higher the better on HDL. You have to eat, just keep it healthy and you'll be fine.

Answered 12/1/2014

3.5k views