Ireland

I am an 18 year old male with a diastolic blood pressure reading 53. what is my medical condition and would i be able to drink alcohol in moderation?

Dr. Carla Enriquez
Congratulations!: That's an exceptional diastolic bp. I hope the rest of you is as healthy. Without knowing the rest of your history, the second part of your question is not easily answerable.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Umesh Patel
Preventive Medicine 44 years experience
Probably normal.: Generally, BP is in 110/70 range in young healthy people - recheck pressures on different machines and at doctor's office also if low - they need to listen to your heart if persisently low. 1 or 2 small alcoholic drinks a day may be consumed by men (only one for women ...Sorry). Do not start drinking for 'heart health' - instead eat more red grapes, avoid obesity and exercise regularly.
Pathology 51 years experience
Agree with Dr. Patel and caution you against drinking for your health! It is illegal at your age. Benefits of drinking have never been tested in a controlled trial and the ill effects of drinking are many and well documented. Stay away from alcohol!
Sep 29, 2012
Last updated Nov 6, 2014