why do i get short of breath after taking a benadryl (diphenhydramine)?

Dr. Garrett Caldwell
Dr. Garrett Caldwellanswered
Benadryl (diphenhydramine): Benadryl (diphenhydramine) is a sedating drug. This could cause some respiratory depression that is making you sob. However, you may also be allergic to the drug. If you believe you are allergic, you should avoid the drug and speak to your physician. An allergy can cause you to stop breathing after taking it.
Dr. Matthew Davis
Child Psychiatry 19 years experience
This is an unusual complaint from Benadryl. If the symptoms are severe it may, in fact, be an allergy. However, allergies to Benadryl are rare and it is generally very effective in treating allergies. An allergy to Benadryl is more likely from any dyes used in the tablet or capsule and a dye-free form of the medication should be used instead if this is the case. Shortness of breath may be part of any paradoxical symptoms when using the medicine too early in the day when the "need for sleep" is not yet present and the sedating effects conflict with the drives to stay awake. This could lead to a rapid pulse and hyperventilation. Try to limit any daytime use of Benadryl except for bad allergies that would otherwise prevent daytime functioning. If you need to take Benadryl for several days, take it at night to allow the sedation to work in your favor. If nighttime use at appropriate doses doesn't help, then you may want to opt for a "non-sedating" antihistamine, although of those, Zyrtec can still be sedating and Claritin may not be effective. Allegra appears to be more uniformly non-sedating while still effective for most people. (Note: the generic formulations of these medications are just as effective. I refer to brand names because they are better known to most.)
Jan 4, 2013
Dr. Rick Koch
Cardiology 22 years experience
Possible: Allergic reaction...Don't take & talk to your physician.