Do different generic pain meds have different effectiveness even if they are saying the same mg's? my last 2 scripts have been dif and 1 worked better

7 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. James Marx answered

Specializes in Pain Management

Sometimes!: Different generics should have the same amount of the active drug in the dosing unit (pill or capsule). What can make a difference is how much the pill is compressed, the "fillers" that are used to adsorb the active medication, even the coating. Generic meds are tested on much lower number of people than the original name brand so there can be some issues there that aren't apparent til later.

Answered 11/28/2014

5.6k views

Dr. Richard Williams answered

Specializes in Pharmacy

Yes and no: I am aware of the battle between generic and branded drugs and which is better. Basically, generic pain med manufacturers must abide by the same federal regs as branded companies. Though there may some small variations, generic pain meds are as good as branded.

Answered 10/3/2016

5.6k views

Dr. Jenni Ramsey answered

Specializes in Pharmacy

No: If you are getting the same medication in the same strength, it will have the same effectiveness. All the generic companies that distribute drugs in the us are required to run tests to assure the same strength of med is in each unit and test the drug level in the bloodstream. So each generic from different companies is the same.

Answered 11/2/2015

5.6k views