NY

My husband had a ct scan of his chest 3 times, all the times it showed something but this time it showed an existing nodule in the right lung and a new nodule measuring 4 mm in the right upper lobe. the left lower has hazy markings. my husband is a former

Dr. James Lin
Radiology 21 years experience
Need to follow up!: It is important to note the shape of these nodules. If the edges are irregular or " spiculated" that is more worrisome. Also, the pattern of calcifications is important as well. These nodules should be followed for stability for 2 years. If they change or enlarge, they should be biopsied or evaluated for malignancy. Follow the recommendations of the reading radiologist, or get 2nd opinion.
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Hematology and Oncology 23 years experience
Need evaluation: He would need further evaluation. The fact that he is a former smoker, still gives him significant risk for lung cancer. I dont know the size of the 1st nodule- if possible, a core biopsy should be done to rule out malignancy. A pet scan also needs to be done if not been done in the past- although however, negative finding on the 2nd nodule will not rule out cancer completely due to its size.

Last updated Sep 11, 2019