my newborn son had meconium aspiration pneumonia and chest x-rays twice daily for 1 week. does the radiation increase his risk for cancer?

3 doctor answers
46 years experience Pediatrics
Insignificant: The x-ray systems today use a fraction of the dose that was used even 20 years ago. The accumulated dose you cite is insignificant.
Answered on Sep 28, 2012
1
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
47 years experience Radiation Oncology
While x-ray 2x/day: Is not what we do for normal kids, your son has a serious medical problem, and they want to minimize inspired oxygen, and check his progress to save his life. His risk my rise from 1 in a million to 10 in a million. Not something to worry about today; getting better is critical worry about this not.
Answered on Jun 10, 2017
1
44 years experience Pathology
No: There was a media flap some years about after a laughably bad journal study claimed that thousands of people were dying each year from routine chest x-rays. The fallacy was assuming a linear risk where the curve is really sigmoidal or exponential. Junior is gravely sick, needs the x-rays in any case, and my hope is that he will pull through. I'm glad to offer some relief. Good luck and be strong.
Answered on Sep 28, 2012
1