what can i do for a finger closed in a car door?

Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Temporary painrelief: Temporary things that can be done include ice or cold compresses, elevation, tylenol (acetaminophen) and advil. Finger injuries due to closing car doors frequently cause lacerations, fractures, subungal hematomas (blood under the nail) and soft tissue crush injuries. All of these should be evaluated by your doctor.
Dr. Mark Hutchinson
Orthopedic Surgery 34 years experience
Open the door: Just kidding... A finger in a car door can be very painful and may be associated with an fracture below. If it hurts a lot, is crooked, or is actively bleeding, it should be checked.
Dr. Ajay Balaram
Orthopedic Surgery 15 years experience
X-ray , ice, elevate: To help with the throbbing try ice and holding the finger up in the air to keep the swelling down. If it is painful for more than a day go get an x-ray as you may have a small fracture. If there any cuts apply antibiotic cream.
Dr. Jeffrey Wint
Hand Surgery 35 years experience
Antiseptic, ice,: elevate. Check to see circulation look goods though can be deceiving Need to check for integrity of skin and the finger nail. X-rays if suspicious for fracture, washed out and sutured if lacerated. Check for tendon motion. Any doubts see a medical provider. If it does not feel or look right don't wait