U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 30-year-old member asked:

how is a clavicle fracture typically treated?

6 doctor answers21 doctors weighed in
Dr. Shivajee Nallamothu
General Practice 27 years experience
Strap or surgery: If there is minimal displacement then a clavicle strap is enough. If markedly displaced, then surgery would be appropriate. This would include a plate and screws or a small rod that would be placed inside the bone after aligning it.
Dr. Mark Weston
Orthopedic Spine Surgery 31 years experience
Sling: Sling pain control surgery rarely indicated.
Dr. Rahul Banerjee
Orthopedic Surgery 22 years experience
Non op or surgery: Clavicle fractures without much displacement or shortening are treated without surgery usually in a sling for comfort for a week or two then early range of motion of the shoulder. Displaced or shortened clavicle fractures may be treated with surgery.
Dr. G Jason Hunt
Orthopedic Surgery 16 years experience
Depends: The treatment of clavicle fractures widely varies depending on the location of the fracture, the amount of shortening of the clavicle, involvement of surrounding soft tissues, including the overlying skin. Lots of fractures can be treated with a sling and time, certain fractures have superior outcomes with surgical care.
Dr. Jeffrey Wint
Hand Surgery 35 years experience
Sling or strap: Is the traditional most common treatment in recent years more open reduction and internal fixation is being done especially for significantly displaced fractures or those associated with poor positioning of the fragments or in so called high performace athletes involved in overhead activity. Surgery brings its own unique risks and benefits too.
Dr. Bernard Bach Jr
Orthopedic Surgery 42 years experience
Non-surgically.: Most clavicle fracture heal uneventfully, with 6-8 weeks of rest. However, there are some fracture patterns that may be better treated surgically. Consult a sports medicine orthopedic surgeon,. who specializes in shoulders.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with

Similar questions

A 21-year-old member asked:

What is vfa (vertebral fracture assessment)?

2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Amir Khan
Sports Medicine 27 years experience
VFA: The process of evaluation for vertebral fractures using qualitative, semi-quantitative, or quantitative morphometric methods is called vertebral fracture assessment and provides information regarding a person’s fracture risk. This improves overall assessment of an individual’s future fracture risk and allows for proper intervention. Guidelines are established for men and women to undergo vfa.
A 21-year-old member asked:

Is it possible to have breast tissue extend above the breast area towards the shoulder armpit?

2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. James Zasuly
Plastic Surgery 28 years experience
Yes: The breast normally extends to the clavicle (bone from shoulder to chest) and into the anterior axilla (armpit) laterally.
A 48-year-old member asked:

Are there medical conditions that cause numbness and tingling in the upper back between shoulder blades?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Jack Mutnick
Allergy and Immunology 17 years experience
Numb: We worry about "thoracic outlet syndrome" but the person to best help is an orthopedic doctor. You might need an EMG by a neurologist as well. Start with the orthopedic doctor first. If you are displease with their plans, seek a neurologist.
A 47-year-old member asked:

How do you get rid of dislocated shoulder pains, other then with medication and ice?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Jack Choueka
Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery
Therapy: Therapy to strengthen the muscles around the shoulder can help decrease thevain after a dislocation. It can also help restore lost motion. If all that fails an arthroscopic procedure may be needed.
A 29-year-old member asked:

How is pain from a fracture treated?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Brandon Macy
Podiatry 41 years experience
First and foremost: The fracture has to be immobilized by a cast or splint. That alone will make things a lot better. After that, there are pain medications to help deal with the early days following the injury. The pain will ease up considerably, long before the fracture has completely healed.

Related questions

A 24-year-old member asked:
3 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
A 37-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
A 41-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
A 38-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with
Last updated May 2, 2016

People also asked

Related topics

Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
$30 per visit with


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.