U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A member asked:

Do wearing of glasses to correct astigmatism at the age of 3yrs also helps to stimulate the eye development(getting cornea round) faster in kids ?

4 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. K. Epley
Dr. K. Epleyanswered
Ophthalmology 29 years experience
Glasses don't change: Wearing glasses refocuses the eyes do that the brains gets a clear image. This helps prevent amblyopia (lazy eye) in children. Wearing glasses does not affect the growth of the eye and won't increase or decrease the changes in shape of the eye over time. The biggest reason to wear glasses is to ensure normal vision development (prevent amblyopia).
Dr. Deepak Raja
Ophthalmology 19 years experience
Not quite. : Wearing glasses to correct astigmatism does not cure someone of astigmatism. It doesn't make their prescription any better or worse in the future. However, at that age, if they have amblyopia, correcting the vision may help the visual pathway between the eyes and brain form properly. This is very important in the early years of development.
Dr. Mitchell Vogel
Ophthalmology 31 years experience
Yes: Children should always have the best corrected vision possible so their visual system develops correctly. Please seek the care of a pediatric ophthalmologist for help and goo luck...
Dr. William Goldstein
Ophthalmology 32 years experience
No: Glasses will not change the shape of the cornea. But proper glasses and good vision are essential for proper vision development.
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental and Behavioral 51 years experience
While dyslexia & other learning disabilities are brain-based problems, diminished vision or hearing harmfully impact learning.
Mar 16, 2013
Last updated Feb 3, 2019


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.