what are the signs of a broken or sprained ankle?

Dr. Albert Pizzo
Ankle injury: Pain especially increasing with weight bearing, swelling of the ankle, bruising of the skin, loss of function, decreased range of motion are some of the signs. This type injury requires an examination and often an x-ray to determine the proper treatment.
Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry 22 years experience
Many possible signs: Twisting ones’ ankle can lead to a sprained ankle. Often times, this may result in ligament or tendon injuries which may lead to ankle bruising, swelling, pain, and possibly instability. An x-ray of the foot and ankle will be able to assist in differentiating a sprain form a fracture.