is taking 200mg of diphenhydramine too much to fall asleep? i have not even been able to sleep well with that amount but afraid to take more.

Dr. STEPHEN GIROUX
Pharmacology 40 years experience
Dose is too high: That dosage is a bit high and any additional probably won't add any additional sedative value. I would suggest other alternatives, such as doxylamine or prescription strength hypnotics. Also a natural alternative melatonin does help improve sleep cycles, while not short term effective may prove to help in the longer term. An evaluation of sleep patterns also may help. Napping/evening foods, etc.