U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 33-year-old member asked:

Is it possible for urinary retention be treated without a catheter?

4 doctor answers11 doctors weighed in
Dr. Madhu Kandarpa
Nephrology and Dialysis 10 years experience
It depends: May be possible depending on the cause.
Dr. Scott Beard
Urogynecology 26 years experience
Yes: Interstim therapy, pelvic floor therapy, stopping meds that may be causing the problem.
Dr. Robert Harris
Urogynecology 32 years experience
Sometimes: Urinary retention is usually due to nerve dysfunction and if you are neurologically intact, there is a treatment that may help. Sacral neuromodulation (Interstim) has helped thousands of people with this problem so see a specialist.
Dr. George Klauber
Specializes in Pediatric Urology
Depends upon cause: Also if acute(sudden onset) or chronic(long standing). Enemas can relieve retention if due to stool impaction. Surgery can correct problem if due to obstruction, i.e. cystocele, enlarged prostate etc.. Acute retention not due to constipation requires catheterisation or placement of supra-pubic drainage tube. Some chronic cases respond to":neuro-modulation". Discuss with urologist/ uro-gynecologist

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership

Similar questions

A 47-year-old member asked:

How is urinary retention in men treated without catheters?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Roscoe Nelson
Urology 29 years experience
Medication/surgery: If you are in true retention and can't urinate at all it becomes an emergency. If it's not treated you can have renal failure and die. There are many medications, mainly Alpha blockers (flomax, opens bladder neck) and 5 Alpha reductase inhibitors (proscar, shrinks prostate) that can help. Minimally invasive treatments like microwave can help. For more: @thepeedoc www.Peedoc.Com.
A 38-year-old member asked:

Where is chronic urinary retention treated?

1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Roscoe Nelson
Urology 29 years experience
Urology Office: After failure of meds you may benefit from minimally invasive treatment using microwave etc. If you are in true retention it is an indication for a TURP (transurethral resection of the prostate).For more: @thepeedoc www.Peedoc.Com.
Last updated Nov 27, 2017


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.