MI

I have sore lymph nodes from mono for 4 months. ent put a scope down my nose into my throat and said no cancer. would that mean lymphoma is ruled out?

Dr. Bernstein Joel
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 61 years experience
No: If you have had a positive mono spot test, it is possible for you to have lymphadenopathy (enlarged lymph nodes) for several months. The absence of any lesion in the back of the throat or larynx does not rule out lymphoma, but the virus that caused your enlarged lymph nodes is the most likely cause of your present problem. If the nodes do not resolve in 4 months or get larger, then a biopsy.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Agos Luca
Specializes in Pathology
Not necessarly...: The diagnosis of lymphoma relies on a constellation of clinical signs and symptoms subsequently confirmed by lymph node biopsy. Even though there is a reported association between mononucleosis and lymphoma, most people with mono never develop lymphoma. If other signs are present like unexplained weight loss, night sweats, fatigue, progressively growing lymph nodes, hematology consult is needed.
Last updated Sep 2, 2020