A member asked:

Husband an alcoholic and i am a enabler. shoud we get counseling?

6 doctors weighed in across 3 answers

Get help: Sounds like you already know the answer. Get help.

Answered 12/9/2013


Dr. Heidi Fowler answered

Specializes in Psychiatry

Enabling.: Your enabling keeps both of you unhealthy. Encourage you to go to al anon meetings. You will be taught how to cope with having a loved one who is alcoholic. You will receive support from people who understand. The concept of tough love may allow you to keep your sanity. Your husband would benefit from alcoholics anonymous meetings. Take care.

Answered 6/22/2013



Yes: Counseling or psychotherapy can be very helpful for overcoming alcohol dependence. However your husband has to want counseling, as do you. Both of you have to be on the same page about this or it won't work. Competently run 12 step programs also can be very helpful.

Answered 2/28/2015



Related Questions

A member asked:

If I have an addiction, should I get counseling for my family?

11 doctors weighed in across 3 answers

A member asked:

How can you get counseling without insurance?

A doctor has provided 1 answer

A member asked:

Can there be anywhere i can get free online counseling?

5 doctors weighed in across 2 answers