Diagnosed with alcoholic hepatitis about a year ago - can drink at all? and why do i get drink off just 1 or 2 beers now? my husband was diagnosed with alcoholic hepatitis about a year ago... he served in the military where they treated him a disease

4 doctors weighed in across 2 answers

It : It sounds like your husband's liver is severely damaged. His life expectancy will be dramatically shortened if he uses any substances that damage the liver, including alcohol and tylenol (acetaminophen). He should not drink at all. 2-5 drinks on a friday night will leave him dead within 2 years. Ucsd and scripps both have liver transplant programs, but they won't even consider your husband for transplant if he's still drinking. If he's going to have any chance at survival beyond the next couple of years, he should stop drinking immediately, enroll in aa or a similar program, and be evaluated for transplant.

Answered 10/3/2016

5.3k views

Dr. Heidi Fowler answered

Specializes in Psychiatry

He : He gets drunk after just a beer or two now because of his alcoholic hepatitis. The hepatitis means that his liver cells have become inflammed (injured). The unhealthy liver cells can no longer metabolize (break down) the alcohol he drinks. When his liver was healthier, the cells could metabolize the alcohol. If he continues to drink, he may well develop cirrhosis. Cirrhosis destroys liver cells and creates fibrous scar tissue. Since we need our liver to metabolize a lot more than just alcohol, it is essential to live. Please look up alanon in your yellow pages. You clearly would benefit from the knowledge and support that this group can provide. Your participation is anonymous and there is no fee to join. Please show this to your husband: no if's and or but's. If you continue to drink, even lesser amounts than before, you will be killing yourself. There are three outcomes for an alcoholic: sobriety, insanity or death. If you elect for sobriety, than let your doctor know and he / she can assist you with obtaining rehabilitation and detoxification if indicated. Alcoholics anonymous is the best back bone for any program of sobriety. Getting a good 12 step sponsor is another essential. Your wife cared enough to contact this site. I hope that you are willing to take the next step in saving your life. For help with finding alcoholic anonymous meetings in san diego you can check under "find an aa meeting" at the www.Aa.Org website. My best to you and your wife. Sincerely and respectfully, dr. Heidi fowler.

Answered 6/12/2021

5.3k views