what is a hida scan and an mrcp test?

3 doctor answers
Dr. Peter Bream
25 years experience Radiology
Liver tests: A hida scan is a scan where a medicine that is taken up and excreted by you liver is tagged with a radioactive particle that can be captured on a monitor. It measures if you havea bile blockage or leak. An mrcp is an MRI that looks at your bile and pancreatic ducts. It is a noninvasive way to avoid a endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatogram (ercp).
Answered on Apr 20, 2018
10
Dr. Larry Wilf
34 years experience Nuclear Medicine
Nuclear, MRI scans: Hida is a nuclear medicine scan which looks at the functioning of your biliary system and and mrcp is an mr study that shows the anatomy of your biliary system.
Answered on Jul 22, 2018
Dr. Gerald Mandell
52 years experience Nuclear Medicine
MR vs nuclear med: Magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography (MRCP) is special mr exam producing images of liver, gallbladder, bile ducts, pancreas and pancreatic duct.Test does not involve ionizing irradiation.HIDA is nuclear medicine test where radionuclide injected IV and extracted by liver with visualization of ducts, gb, and bowel. Functional test gb & bile duct obstruction defined. MR may delineate cause.
Answered on Jan 17, 2018