If invega (paliperidone) gave me nystagmus, will it ever go away?

5 doctors weighed in across 2 answers

Probably: Nystagmus is more like a tremor of the eye muscles which can be a side effect of many meds. It is not thought to be associated with tardive dyskinesia (td) and should clear with reduction or discontinuation of the med. If not i would consider another cause for the nystagmus such as a different med or loss of vision in one eye. Have an eye exam.

Answered 5/8/2016

5.6k views

Dr. Pamela Pappas answered

Specializes in Psychiatry

Nystagmus and Invega (paliperidone): I agree that nystagmus is not usually part of tardive dyskinesia, the chronic movement disorder related to many antipsychotic medications (such as invega (paliperidone)). However, it can be a sign of shorter-term neurotoxicity -- indicating need to reduce dosage or choose a different medicine. You don't say how long you've been on invega (paliperidone). Please talk w/your doctor & yes, do have an eye exam & neurologist too.

Answered 5/8/2016

5.6k views