Why is it important to take the tick's head out of your skin after it bites you?

Dr. David Voron
Dermatology 52 years experience
See below: The longer the entire tick, or a part of it, stays attached to your skin, the more likely it is to transmit the organism that causes lyme disease, if the tick itself is infected with that agent. If the tick's head is left in the skin, even if the body is removed, and the tick carries the agent that causes lyme disease, transmission is possible.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Robert Jackson
Dermatology 44 years experience
Decreases: It decreases chance of infection.