India

My sgpt level is 66 , is it dangerous?

Dr. Stuart Hickerson
Mild: Sgpt or serum glutamic-pyruvic transaminase also known as alt is one of your liver enzymes that is commonly measured on standard labs. Upper limit of normal on most labs is aroung 40 so 66 is a mild elevation that can be due to multiple things: virus, medications, alcohol, even vigorous activity. I would not get to worried about this, but probably worth getting repeat labs in 6 months or so.
Pathology 49 years experience
No: Your sgpt, also called alt, is slightly elevated and by itself not dangerous. Do you drink? How much? Have you been tested for hepatitis? It would be prudent to discuss it with your doctor at your next visit. In the meantime, refrain from alcohol and tylenol (acetaminophen).
Pathology 49 years experience
Provided original answer
Your blood sugar levels suggest insulin resistance and you may need a glucose tolerance test to determine if you have diabetes. As a first step you may get a hemoglobin A1c level. Are you overweight, if even a little bit, it would be good to loose about 10% body weight and start doing exercise regularly, start with walking briskly for about half hour each day. Please discuss all these issues with your doctor.
Aug 28, 2012
Pathology 49 years experience
Provided original answer
Losing weight is easier said than done, however, you need to reduce what you eat by about half and start exercising. As I said, it is not easy, but there is no substitute either.
Aug 21, 2014