can you lose your teeth because of aids?

Dr. James Merrett
Dentistry 29 years experience
Losing teeth/AIDs: Treating people with HIV and aids has come along way. Anyone who has a compromised immune system can have challenges with keeping their teeth. It is very important to stay on top of your oral hygiene as your immune system may struggle to fight the bacteria in your mouth. Furthermore, some of the medications to treat hiv/aids may cause dry mouth, which can lead to rampant decay and tooth loss.
Dr. Ragan Faler
Dentistry 24 years experience
Later stages: Later stages of aids do manifest in the oral cavity. Nug or necrotizing ulcerative gingivitis is a condition where the gum tissues become severely inflamed and can lead to tooth loss. Primary tumors called kaposi sarcoma are also seen in the oral cavity. Earlier stages of hiv, the oral cavity can be kept healthy with food regular dental care.