is propofol safe for a patient with sleep apnea?

Dr. Jeffrey Jarvis
Dentistry 37 years experience
Yes, no problem: In fact i had surgery just last week, and Propofol was used for my anesthesia too. I have sleep apnea, and there were no issues whatsoever. Your physician and anesthesiologist do need to know about your apnea, so be sure you tell them in advance.
Dr. Daniel Sampson
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 26 years experience
It depends: On the anesthetic plan and the experience of the anesthesiologist. Having sleep apnea is not necessarily a contraindication to having Propofol used in anesthesia but is definitely a consideration in any type of general anesthetic.
Dr. Orrin Ailloni-Charas
Anesthesiology 29 years experience
Yes: When used appropriately. Only an anesthesiologist should administer Propofol since it is very potent and can lead to respiratory depression and hypotension.
Dr. Mitchell Zeitler
Anesthesiology 39 years experience
Yes: It is not so much the drug used but the training and experience of the practitioner that is important. Any drug, such as Propofol that can cause one to undergo general anesthesia or deep sedation needs to be monitored closely and with proper technique (use of the drugs) people with sleep-apnea should do well.