Is it normal for mederma scar gel to dry up and flake off of my face after i apply it?

Dr. Barry Handler
Plastic Surgery 33 years experience
Yes: You can just apply it thinner and rub it in a little better. Or, you can switch to something that works better, like scarguard.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Steven Harris
Plastic Surgery 38 years experience
Yes: Yes, that is why i recommend massage with cocoa butter, instead. It has been shown to be equally effective.
Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics 35 years experience
No magic 2 Mederma: There is no magic to mederma. Most of my patients find it highly inconvenient to apply this cream 4 times a day as suggested. Silicone gels have better data verifying their effectiveness. The active ingredient in Mederma is allium cepa (onion bulb extract).
Last updated Nov 29, 2020