Springfield, MO

I had a blister on my toe but the skin broke and now there is just a piece of skin hanging there and it hurts. what do i do? when will it heal?

Dr. Brandon Macy
Podiatry 42 years experience
The loose skin : Should be trimmed away, the blister cleaned, then dressed with an antibiotic ointment and then covered with a band aid. It will take a few days, but the soreness will gradually decrease as the skin under the blister dries out and toughens up.
Dr. Ronald Oberman
Podiatry 32 years experience
If you can....: Gentley remove the hanging piece of skin: do so but be careful not to pull it and create a bigger sore/wound. Apply antibiotic cream or ointment and a bandaid. If still troublesome, see a podiatrist.
Dr. Alan Ettinger
Podiatry 50 years experience
Off load area: Apply a topical antibiotic off load the blister area so that the shoe does not hit the wound. We like the skin to stay on but if it is just hanging i would remove it.
Dr. Michael Miller
Wound care 37 years experience
Fast Healing: The real question is what not to do that slows down healing. Avoid using alcohol, peroxide, hibiclens, betadine, and bleach solutions. Inflammation ( red, hot, swollen, tender) is important to healing so anti-inflammatories (motrin, advil) are bad. Cover the area with a clean dressing changed every other day and protected from trauma. Antibiotics do not help healing unless it is truly infected.
Last updated Dec 29, 2016