if i develop gynecomastia does that mean that i'm getting fat?

Dr. Martin Wertkin
Specializes in General Surgery
No: Gynecomastia is enlargement of the male breast. It is almost always related to hormone imbalances or medications. It has nothing to do with body fat.
Dr. Alan Greene
Dr. Alan Greeneanswered
No: Gynecomastia is enlarged breast tissue in guys. It's the result of hormone imbalances. Excess body fat can cause changes in estrogen/testosterone balance - but is by no means the only cause. Skinny guys can get gynecomastia. Gynecomastia does not means someone is fat. Too much fat means someone is fat.
Dr. Robert Lang
Dr. Robert Lang commented
Endocrinology 52 years experience
A common cause of gynecomastia is low testosterone which causes muscle loss and increased fat.
Sep 28, 2011
Dr. Susan Wingo
Endocrinology 33 years experience
Maybe: True gynecomastia refers to enlargement of the normally very small area of dense, firm glandular tissue under the nipple in men. This would be due to a hormone imbalance as described in the other answers. Simply gaining weight, will not cause this, but can cause increased fat tissue in the breast area, creating the appearance of enlarged breasts.
Dr. Robert True
Possibly: Gynecomastia normally refers to an increase in glandular tissue. However, extra fat can also deposit within the breasts, especially when someone is overweight. Indeed, extra fat can result in an increase in formation of estrogen, which can make breasts grow with both tissues. Either way, one way to treat them is with liposuction of the breasts in men.
Dr. Michael Bermant
Plastic Surgery 43 years experience
Gynecomastia and Fat: Just like a female breast, the anatomy of gynecomastia consists of fat, gland, and skin. Check out this drawing: http://www.Plasticsurgery4u.Com/procedure_folder/male_breast/gynecomastia_anatomy.Html to understand how different components can enlarge to different degrees. Male body fat tends to accumulate first chest & belly around body.
Dr. Mario Diana
Plastic Surgery 30 years experience
For sure NO: In fact, if breast volume increases in a normal adult male below the age of 50 it is a good idea to seek medical attention. Breast diseases (including breast cancer) may be erroneously attributed to "unilateral gynecomastia". Hormonal disfunctions can present as gynecomastia, as well as side effects of many medications. Surgical treatment is very effective.