is glaucoma painful?

Dr. Howard Pomeranz
Ophthalmology 28 years experience
Glaucoma: A form of glaucoma called acute angle closure glaucoma can cause an abrupt rise in eye pressure that can be very painful.
Dr. Robert Chang
Specializes in Ophthalmology
Can be: Quick rise in pressure, acute angle closure, corneal decompensation due to high pressure can cause pain. Usually glaucoma is not painful.
Dr. Jon Fishburn
Ophthalmology 30 years experience
Not ordinarily: The two main types of glaucoma are open angle ; angle closure. The former is painless and progressive, if not stabilized. The latter also tends to be slow and progressive, but usually gradually closes the drainage angle of the eye. If acute angle closure of the angle occurs, considerable pain results and loss of vision ensues, if not urgently treated by medicine and laser or incisional surgery.