i am 44 and missed my period 23 days ago. i have been having brown spotting for the last 1 1/2 weeks. major mood swings about a week ago and then normal moods. now getting moody again.some cramping like a period. negative pregnancy test. any reason to wo

Dr. Kevin Fleishman
Perimenopause: As women get into their 40's it is normal to have occasional irregular periods secondary to irregular ovulation. Any heavy or prolonged bleeding warrants a visit to the gynecologist to rule out other pathology.
Pathology 49 years experience
Hormonal imbalance: Menstrual irregularities are not uncommon and anovulatory cycle is a common cause. If you miss more than two periods it would be time to see your doctor. If you do not wish to be pregnant, use contraception all the time. You may consider implanted contraceptive or an IUD. Consult this site. http://www.nichd.nih.gov/health/topics/menstruation/conditioninfo/Pages/causes.aspx