how can i get rid of a painful boil?

Dr. Joel Gallant
Infectious Disease 36 years experience
I&D: Get it incised and drained by a medical provider.

Is it advisable to immobilize my leg after pulling my hamstring if the pain is not severe?

Dr. Randy Lisch
Podiatry 38 years experience
No: Try to massage the hamstring with a roller and stretch the muscle gently as much as possible.

How can I avoid putting pressure on my arm and prevent breast lymphedema?

Dr. James Isobe
Phlebology 54 years experience
General care: Lymphedema of the arm is seen following breast procedures (axillary dissection, radiation), and avoiding putting pressure on the arm doesn't prevent the swelling. Avoid scratches, injury of the arm that can result in infection and further damage of the lymphatics. Seek help of a lymphedema trained physical therapist for specific advice.

My daughter just came back from haiti..She has a 1" radius of redness with a black center? Is this a spider bite? She is having pain with it.

Dr. Cornelia Franz
Specializes in Pediatrics
Could be : She needs to be seen and have that evaluated. Black center means a necrotic center and may need to be debrided. Make an appointment.

I feel like I have pain in my kidneys. What could this be?

Dr. Tarek Naguib
Nephrology and Dialysis 40 years experience
Muscle pain?: Pain in back muscles is more common reason for this complaint than actual kidney pain. But kidney stone possibility cannot be ruled out. Also, could be related to kidney infection esp if you have signs of of UTI e.g. Burning, frequency, or foul odor with urination. A visit to your doc will help differentiate this.
Jonesboro, AR

How to get rid of painful boils? And how do you get them?

Dr. Mark Rausch
Emergency Medicine 24 years experience
Heat: I typically tell my patients to put a cup of uncooked rice into a sock. Tie off the end of the sock & place in the microwave on high for 1 minute. Rice is a terrific insulator of heat. Apply the sock to the boil for 5 seconds and pull away once it gets too hot. Repeat the process for a total of 20 minutes. Perform 3-4x/day until it resolves. If it continues to worsen, go to the er.

Last updated Oct 3, 2016