South Gate, CA

i have gallstones but only have gotten about 2 big pains with it. is it dangerous? do i have to get them removed?

Dr. Michael Zadeh
General Surgery 17 years experience
It is recommended: You don't have to get your gallbladder removed, however after experiencing one attack of gallbladder pain the likelihood of experiencing repeat attacks increases. Therefore it is recommended to have your gallbladder removed after your first attack. The risks associated with elective gallbladder surgery are less than those of the possible complications associated with severe gallbladder disease.
Dr. Robert Moesinger
General Surgery 29 years experience
Not necessarily.: Gallstones are a common condition, and many people with gallstones never have trouble. Some do have trouble and painful "attacks" are just one of the possible complications. Others include pancreatitis, jaundice, acute cholecystitis, etc. Occasionally these problems can be serious. Generally, we recommend removal of the gallbladder when symptoms start to compromise lifestyle.