can it be dangerous for a person to get an mri?

Dr. Paul Aitchison
Radiology 26 years experience
Yes: If you have metallic foreign bodies or implants MRI can be dangerous. This includes pacemakers, neurostimulators, and even ear implants. However, you must go through a screening process before getting a scan so we make sure it ok before putting a patient on the scanner. Also, there are risks associated with contrast agents, although serious reactions are very rare. Mri is very safe otherwise.
Dr. Philip Chao
Radiology 38 years experience
Pre screening is imp: Important. I agree that MRI for certain individuals is not allowed because of metal implanted by a surgeon. (or schrapnel). But once screened - it is a very safe procedure and totally harmless without ionizing radiation. Also most doctors do not know there are safe MRI contrasts which can be requested. The prob is that the radiologists sometimes refuse to provide them. I use prohance.