why do we shiver when we are cold?

Dr. Julian Bragg
Neurology 17 years experience
Generate heat: Shivering causes intense muscle activity, generating heat and warming the body.

Why do I violently shiver when cold? What can I do to avoid this?

Thermogenesis: The body' reflex reactions increase body heat production (by up to 500%) to keep internal core temperature normal. It produces heat by shivering ( involuntary muscle contractions). Increase insulation by layering clothing & wearing wind breaking material & eat adequately prior to cold exposure.
Newtown, PA

When i go out to eat and I have a cold drink like iced tea i start to shiver, is it only due to the cold weather this is something new for me?

Dr. Martin Raff
Infectious Disease 56 years experience
Shivering: This is one of the body's ways of raising your temperature when there is a perceived difference between the ambient temps and your body temp. It is generally quite normal, but if accompanied by true fever or other symptoms then it might be beneficial to be seen and examined professionally.

When people come down with a cold or the flu, they shiver and get very cold. What is the physiological reason behind this?

Dr. Bert Liang
Specializes in Neurology
Temperature reset: This is the mechanism for fever. The hypothalamus resets the body temperature in response to an infection; shivering is a mechanism to increase temperature in response to the reset of body temperature.
United Kingdom
A 20-year-old male asked about a 20-year-old male:

Why do I sometimes shiver when it's not cold?

Pathology 49 years experience
Emotions: You may wish to make note of the circumstances that prompt shivering, it may be due to emotional stimuli.
Voorheesville, NY

The last two years I've noticed I get very cold after eating any meal and I usually shiver. Also, an hour after consuming two alc drinks I'll shiver?

Dr. Edward Seegers
Post meal: hello, this is an altogther odd story. I would hazard a guess that this has probably got something to do with the VAGUS nerve and the expression of its effect on your gastric emptying which can be delayed in diabetes. The alcohol is easy. If you dont like it ! Dont eat or drink t ! Alcohol consumption is not mandatory last I looked :-))