Diazapam works really well for my anxiety but what is downside?

Dr. Alfred Forrester
Addiction: The class of benzodiazepines - of which diazepam is one - can be quite effective in reducing symptoms of anxiety. The most common short-term side-effects are sedation. In the long-term, sometimes pts develop tolerance (they need a higher dose of the med over time to get the effect); and if they stop the med abruptly, they may suffer withdrawal symptoms.
Dr. Ana Adelstein
Clinical Psychology 28 years experience
Using only medications to manage your anxiety can prevent you from learning cognitive and behavioral techniques that can themselves help you manage it. It doesn't just have to be about pills; it can be about skills!
Mar 8, 2013
Diazepam: I agree w dr. Forrester & dr. Adelstein. As a psychiatrist I am concerned when i start care for a new patient who has been on long-term benzodiazepines such as diazapem. The reason- many of these people are so used to taking the medication that they are not willing to consider a less addictive medication & often are unwilling to work on making behavioral changes to reduce their anxiety. They >.
Provided original answer
stuck in a RUT.
Aug 3, 2013

Last updated Oct 4, 2016