why is it a good idea to make sure my child knows the difference between day and night?

Dr. Laura Webb
Sleep schedule: Nighttime is for longer stretches of sleep and feedings not associated with baths or playtime whereas during the day feedings are often followed by playtime or walks. Naps tend to be shorter than nighttime sleeping as well. Newborns sometimes reverse day and night however by 3 months most babies can go up to 6-8 hours without feeding at night.
Dr. Nanette Nuessle
Specializes in Pediatrics
Consistency: Children need consistency. This helps their normal development. It also helps them to sleep better during the night and at naptimes. To assist this, wake your child at the same time every day. This is particularly true if they have had a difficult and restless night.
Better sleep habits: By keeping the "nighttime" dark, quiet, and without noise or activities; and making the "daytime" bright, with sounds, feedings, and activities; a parent can help his baby have a good, natural bodily rhythm. The baby will sleep better at night, and behave happier during the day.
Dr. Josephine Ruiz-healy
Getting some Zzzzzz: Trying to get a beby to sleep at night can be challenging. It is imprtant for a baby to start learning the day/night signals early on. In a nutshell, during the day your home should be a bright, stimulating place where the baby is driven to learn and everybody interacts with him or her. Night time is quiet, not bright and not interactive, in other words, to boring to stay awake.