Is removing tonsils worth it to get rid tonsil stones?

Dr. Patrick Melder
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 28 years experience
Depends: If the tonsil stones cause chronic pain and bad breath... Yes it's worth it. 7-10 days of post-operative pain to not have to deal with the chronic sore throat and bad breath... I usually recommend it to my patients with those types of symptoms.
Dr. David Martin
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery 29 years experience
Tonsil stones: I advise people to try irrigating their tonsils with a water pik first. If you get the food out of your tonsil crypts (craters), you can prevent further tonsil stones. Avoid tonsillectomy if you can. It is a miserable procedure for an adult. If you still cannot tolerate the tonsil stones, proceed with the surgery.
Pathology 45 years experience
Last resort: If you've got a water pick, a mirror, a penlight, and good coordination, you can probably manage them. A half-unbent paper clip may be more likely to hurt you but can work well. The "stones" are actually masses of keratin. Nobody understands why some folks get them.