will a toenail fungus impact my ability to give blood?

Dr. Randy Lisch
Podiatry 38 years experience
No: Nail fungus is not in your bloodstream and therefore does not affect your ability to give blood.

How can one prevent fungal infections of the feet when taking a footbath?

Dr. Alan Ettinger
Podiatry 49 years experience
Liner: Use a disposible liner in the foot bath.

Would mitral regurgitation cuase someone to have a decreased red blood count, and would a blood transfusion help the case?

Dr. Brian Mott
Thoracic Surgery 29 years experience
It could: Severe mr with turbulent flow can cause hemolysis of rbcs. Although a transfusion will top you off it won't solve the underlying problem.

What are some ways to prevent heel pain besides padding?

Dr. Ronald Oberman
Podiatry 31 years experience
Supportive footwear: Heel pain often caused by insufficient support of feet. Orthotics are very helpful.

What's first-degree ankle sprain?

Dr. Eric Lullove
Podiatry 19 years experience
Tear of...: First degree sprain - is a tear of only a few fibers of the ligament (in this case, the anterior-tibial fibular ligament) the atfl. It's also known as a "strain" and caused from a rapid inversion injury of the ankle or "rolling" the ankle inside, such as stepping off a curb the wrong way.
Springfield, MO

I had a blister on my toe but the skin broke and now there is just a piece of skin hanging there and it hurts. What do I do? When will it heal?

Dr. Brandon Macy
Podiatry 41 years experience
The loose skin : Should be trimmed away, the blister cleaned, then dressed with an antibiotic ointment and then covered with a band aid. It will take a few days, but the soreness will gradually decrease as the skin under the blister dries out and toughens up.

Last updated Jul 21, 2012