what can i do if my ears are plugged for over a week?

Dr. Guy DaSilva
Preventive Medicine 35 years experience
Remove the earwax: You can buy an over-the-counter ear wax solution with a irrigation bulb that will relieve you of this issues very inexpensively.

Is it safe to put oil in the ears?

Dr. Dennis Diaz
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 38 years experience
With caution: Several over the counter ear preparations contain oil, usually olive oil. I would encourage you to make sure your ear drum is intact before placing any drops in the ear.

What happens when you dive and don't equalize the pressure in your ears?

Dr. Rodney Diaz
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 22 years experience
Pain!: If you do this too often or too deep without clearing, you can rupture your ear drum or seriously injure your ears. Clearing ears is a must for divers.

When I swallow, my ears start hurting. What can I do?

Dr. Anifat Balogun
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 29 years experience
Ears hurt w/swallow: Ear pain with swallowing may indicate an issue directly with the esophagus either from food or reflux or it could be related to inflammation or infection of the throat or ears. Please see your primary care provider or ear nose and throat specialist for an evaluation.

When I swallow or chew gum, my ears click. Is this normal?

Dr. Patrick Melder
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 27 years experience
Yes: This can be from either 1) the TMJ (temporomandibular joint) clicking right in front of your ears or 2) the opening/closing of the eustachian tube.
A male asked:

I have white flakes in my ears, what should I do?

Dr. Bernstein Joel
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 60 years experience
Dermatologist: White flakes on the outer ear skin (pinna) most likely represents a form of seborrheic dermatitis. This scaliness is the result of dryness, and is usually successfully treated by a dermatologist. If the flakes are in the ear canal, the same diagnosis exists but can be treated by an otologist.

Last updated Jul 21, 2012