U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 37-year-old member asked:

Is it bad to eat tums (calcium carbonate) on a daily basis?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Brett Kalmowitz
Gastroenterology 23 years experience
No but....: Tums (calcium carbonate) is calcium and can often be used to supplement calcium intake for people who are at risk for thin bones. However, if you are taking Tums (calcium carbonate) daily for heartburn or indigestion or some other symptom that you are treating, then you could be masking a more serious problem and you should talk to your doctor.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership

Similar questions

A 46-year-old member asked:

Is it okay if I eat Tums (calcium carbonate) for fun is that bad?

1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Heidi Fowler
Psychiatry 26 years experience
Please don't eat: medications for fun. There can be serious effects from Tums (calcium carbonate) (especially with chronic use or taking too much) such as rebound hyperacidity, constipation, gall stones, calcinosis, hypercalcemia, metabolic acidosis & renal injury)
A 39-year-old member asked:

What to do if i eat Tums (calcium carbonate) for fun is that bad?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Bahman Omrani
Pain Management 18 years experience
How many?: 1 or 2 a day should be okay. If you use too much of it for too long you can run into internal complications.
Dr. Ihab Ibrahim
Pain Management 30 years experience
Including kidney stones. Woman can to build bone strength, but not like candy.
Aug 9, 2013
Last updated Nov 3, 2017


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.