I have developed a rash thatstarted on my face. it was very itchy. doc thinks it might be hives.

Dr. Clarissa Abrantes
Yes: It has to be examined so if the doctor says it's likely hives, it probably is.
Dr. Jack Mutnick
Allergy and Immunology 17 years experience
Hives: If it is, then you need to use the recommended oral antihistamines to get this under control. You can also use topical preparations to calm down the itch.
Dr. Martin Ostro
Allergy and Immunology 49 years experience
Hives treatable: Hives are itchy, raised, red areas on skin ranging from pin point to many inches in diameter and lasting from a few minutes up to 24 hr and clearig without residual skin changes. If they recur for several days and there is no apparent cause then an allergic cause is very rare. One or more antihistamines in high doses will usually control hives and if not, see allergist.

Last updated Jun 17, 2017