if i tell a doctor i have thoughts of suicide, will they force me to go to a psych hospital?

Dr. Robert Woods
Not Always: Most individuals who experience a serious psychiatric condition will experience sucidal thoughts. The absolute best deterrent to suicide is to discuss it openly with someone who understands. We have a duty to protect our patients who's judgment might be impaired and only if we thought you might actually act upon your suicidal thoughts would we encourage or in some cases force hospitalization.
Dr. Byron Law-Yone
Depends: A suicide risk assessment will help determine the level of care needed to treat you safely. Past or recent suicide attempts, positive family history, active drug abuse, major depression, impulsivity, irritability , having a plan, access to fire arms will be red flags that will infuence your dr's decision making process. Yes, he/she can have you involuntarily "commited" to a hospital.
Dr. David Murdock
Not necessarily: It all depends on your history (prior attempts), the severity of your depression, and whether or not you have a plan and/or the means to carry out these thoughts. Other factors, such as hallucinations, substance abuse, and family history would be considered. This is a very difficult call, and simply reporting suicidal thoughts does not always require hospitalization.