U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 28-year-old female asked:

I am very anemic due to my crohn's disease. supplements are not working. is it possible to get an iron infusion? what is it like?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Kevin Olson
Family Medicine 35 years experience
Yes: Hemotolgy doctors will do intravenous iron infussions in the chemo centers. Just a small needle stick and wait for the medicine to slowly drip in. Will not hurt me a bit.
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Hematology and Oncology 24 years experience
Absolutely: If you dont respond well to oral iron supplement, intravenous iron supplement will be indicated. It is just like getting intravenous fluid- but instead of Normal Saline or other solution, you will get iron. It is safe and in general, people tolerate well. There is risk for allergic reaction, but is not common and if it does happen, your doctor can manage it well. Discuss further with your doctor.
Last updated Jun 24, 2019


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.