I am 45 years old and have osteoarthritis, how will this affect my ability to walk in an older age?

5 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Robert Levine answered

Specializes in Dermatology

Who Knows: Cannot predict. Iit depends on the joints involved and the severity of your symptoms. And the big unknown - is what will be available 10 or 20 years to decrease oa pain and improve function. Currently with joint replacements many are able walk very well, and, results keep improving. Also with other evolving techniques it may be possible for you to grow new cartilage. Only time will tell.

Answered 4/25/2015

5.8k views

Dr. Walker Wynkoop answered

Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery

It Depends...: Arthritis: where and what type? "wear and tear" or "osteoarthritis" in the knees is the most common to affect walking. But I have patients that walk long distances with even severe osteoarthritis. I know farmers that had osteoarthritis at 45 and just kept on going into their their 80's. Most people will get their knees replaced and walking is a great exercise to do for decades after that surgery.

Answered 3/26/2013

5.8k views