why does my baby start kicking and flipping more when i lay down? could my positioning cause umbilical cord issues?

Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder answered
Specializes in Maternal-Fetal Medicine
Ultrasound may tell: Many women report increased fetal movement when they lie on their sides. We believe that is related to an increase in blood flow to the baby due to a change in the mother's position and activity. With regard to positioning and cord compression, it is typically the position of the fetus/cord in a uterus with a low amount of amniotic fluid that is occasionally associated with "issues" or problems.