is bcg bladder cancer treatment effective or not?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Terence Chapman
25 years experience Urologic Oncology
Yes: Bcg is intended for use of "superficial" bladder cancer, ie, cancer that has not invaded into the muscle of the bladder (carcinoma in situ, ta or t1 stages). It has been shown to significantly reduce the risk of recurrence and progression vs. No treatment. There is some evidence that BCG may only delay progression--given enough time many people with high risk disease may eventually progress.
Answered on Feb 23, 2020
4
Dr. Raja Mudad
31 years experience Medical Oncology
Yes: In fact after removal of superficial bladder cancer (not invasive), the standard of care is BCG injections in the bladder for 6 weeks. It is very effective in reducing recurrence.
Answered on Feb 23, 2020
4