Is it possible for my baby to get strep throat?

Dr. Jonathan Jassey
Yes: It's rare under age 2 to get strep, but is possible. I've seen a positive strep test in as young as a 4 month old.
Dr. Colton Bradshaw
Specializes in Pediatrics
Yes: Although uncommon for babies to be diagnosed with strep throat, certainly anything is possible! strep is generally passed from one victim to another by direct contact or through infected droplets of naso-oral secretions. Most caretakers are cautious around newborns, understanding that these little ones can be at risk. But, if dad--with strep throat--"parked" junior's pacifier in his mouth, well...
Happens ...however: It is possible for an infant to acquire and be sick from the strep A germ. It is also possible for them to test positive and only be a carrier & never get sick from it. One issue that differs in young infants is the long term effects. Since their immune system is immature, they don't risk development of rheumatic fever like a 5 or 10 year old would. Treatment of carriers is unnecessary.